Saturday, December 13, 2008

Pin The Tail On The Donkey

Late to post about it, but JD and I went to see Jim Jones perform at Mercury Lounge two weeks ago. I'm a sucker for Capo's bafoonery, so I looked forward to the intimacy of the small venue, and my company. 
Juelz made an appearance... along with most of Byrdgang - sans Cam.
Mr. Santana got to showcase his artist, Starr...
I had heard a few of her tracks in early '08, and she can definitely sing. 
To his credit, Jim put verses on two great songs this year - "Electric Feel" and "Day N Nite" - and he took time out to perform both at the show.

Sa-Ra opened for him...
I was a fan of their funky vibe, but seeing them do their thing live?!? 
Those dudes are pretty wild...
Although Pitchfork is notorious for being overly critical, I'd unfortunately have to agree with their thoughts on SA-RA. Word to the wise: If you want to be misogynistic, at least make it big first, so that when you do it, we give you a pass...

Like Puffy, with his portable harem; I'm sure you've seen his 007esque I Am King ad on TV, in cabs, and on billboards:

A bit more tasteful, Dolce & Gabanna use Miles Davis' "Nuit Sur Les Champs-Elysées" in their ad for men's fragrance, The One (below). I had just left the room, and it was the music from this commercial that made me go back and look at the TV:

Luckily for me, A Time To Kill was a great book, and Matthew McConaughey playing the lead in the '96 film didn't bother me then, and this shirtless ad doesn't bother me now. Oww.
Lastly, and to prove I'm not completely boy crazy, here's Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle TV ad with Keira Knightley. Joss Stone covers Nat King Cole's song "L-O-V-E":

It's a good look for the british songstress, whose voice is always recognizable. Speaking of which... Joss, where are you?!? The game needs you!

No comments: