Friday, November 23, 2007

Same Color as Cranberry Sauce

The idea of conformity popped into my head throughout the day yesterday, probably because I didn't participate in a traditional Thanksgiving celebration this year. Since I wasn't one of the millions of people across the country eating turkey and cranberry sauce, my distance from the holiday allowed me to dismantle it a bit.

I've noticed quite a few blogs and message boards this week that oppose Thanksgiving's alleged inaccurate, hypocritical message. I don't remember much of 6th grade global studies all that well (maybe because I knew it was bullshit?), so I had to admit ignorance on this topic at first. But after doing a little bit of online fact-checking, it seems as though Thanksgiving was more of a violent act of ethnic cleansing than the tolerant, multi-cultural celebration we've been taught. I definitely find it interesting that there are so many extreme versions of the story... but I wasn't there, so I really can't say what went down for sure. However, I can say that as 1984ish and robotic as it is for the whole country to eat the same meal on the same day because they were told to do so, these holidays can bring families together in a positive way. You can't always just see red.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cant front tho, turkey and cranberry be tasting good to me