Saturday, December 1, 2007

Form The Alliance

I LOVE football.

I also LOVE fashion.
This week's episode of Project Runway showed that human beings can be versatile in their interests. Former NY Giants running back Tiki Barber guest-starred as the judge and inspiration for Week 3's sewing challenge. It was nice to see a pro athlete openly discuss his interest in the fashion industry... Although they're not the most far-fetched combination of hobbies, fashion and sports are also not necessarily two things that often get paired together either. In an interview after the show, Tiki displayed an open-minded ability to align himself with an interest that (he admits) is not the most masculine.

Since I often struggle with having widespread interests, I empathize with people who find it hard to categorize themselves as a this or that type of person... And that's why programming like this is so refreshing to see. I wish more people would not just think, but live outside the box; trying new things that don't fall within the category you like to imagine yourself in might be what you're missing.

I jacked this clip from MissInfo and wanted to post it since Rza talks about Wu Tang's ability to approach "all walks of life." The context has nothing to do with my sports/fashion dichotomy, but what he says is ironically relevent to my point:

P.S. I love him.

Anyhow... Bravo to Bravo and all those who are brave enough to walk through life collecting what they like, how ever bizarre or contradictory it might seem.

No comments: