Sunday, November 23, 2008

Ask Many Questions, Like Children Often Do

Stanford law professor and author Lawrence Lessig was on 
Charlie Rose Friday night promoting his new book: 
(New Yorker review HERE.)

In addition to discussing (and warning us about) the future of intellectual property and copyright law, he also talked about his interaction with Barack Obama when they were colleagues at Stanford. I totally recommend watching this:


Youtube video makers, song samplers, and photo jackers beware! Lessig argues that a "war" is being waged on "kids and others who create and consume art," comparing that war to the overly-criminalized and equally unsuccessful war on drugs. But through compromise, he suggests ways to bridge the gap between the two opposing sides: (1) politicians and artists' lawyers who cling to the copyright fundamentals of the past vs. (2) the generation of creative criminals who live and breathe artistic mash-ups.

I had never heard of Lessig, but I bought the book anyway. Technology has instigated a new kind of artistic renaissance, and as a blogging participant, I should probably educate myself and be more aware of the legalities surrounding the unlicensed media I use on this site. That, and it's really about the kids (lol)- the technology will only get better and our resources are bound to multiply -- if being artistic makes us all criminals now, then future generations are in a lot of trouble. 

Me, age 14, at Woodstock '98.
Photo courtesy of my Momzilla.

It's a weak analogy, but just imagine if they didn't let kids use tape recorders ten years ago... Kidzilla would never have conducted her first artist interview or written an article about it for her local newspaper. Like in Back To The Future, I'd get erased from the photo! Third Eye Blind and Dishwalla may not be super relevant today, but back then, they helped me figure out that I wanted to build a career in music. And coincidentally, the lead singer of Third Eye Blind was in my office a few weeks ago... My boss completely blew up my spot and (true story) had me show him the article I wrote. Ten years later, the whole experience came full circle- right before my very eyes.

Listen HERE.

2 comments:

Jsmiles said...

I really enjoyed this post and I'm buying the book. I don't think I mind being a creative criminal. lol

YE Love said...

Nice... Can't believe your boss did that though. LoL. Crazy how life works... smh. Oh! Cool pic of you by the way you look the same and didn't age one bit!!!