Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Way We Connected, It Was Something Electric


Thursday night, I had the privilege of attending
Hip Hop Monologues:
The Life and Mind of Jim Jones.

I say privilege both seriously and sarcastically: Jim performed only two nights by invitation only, but... it's also Jimmy. Naturally, I was expecting a train wreck. But there was no such thing! In fact, the whole production was executed in a somewhat decent manner. That said, it's important to note that Jim's story is admittedly not too compelling. Okay, you were a hustler. Okay, you have haters in the hood. Okay, all the ladies want to hump you- we get it. If the musical showed me something I hadn't seen before, then I could let all the self-aggrandizing that came with it go. But it didn't. So I can't.

However, my love for Capo lives on despite this average theatrical experience. He did something amazing last week, and threw two verses on MGMT's "Electric Feel" - the song I constantly co-sign as my favorite this year.
I have to give Jimmy credit for this move... out for almost a year, the song is so hot, I'm actually upset he's the one who got to it first. Wale's manager posted the remix on Elitaste, admitting that it's a shame Mr. Folarin missed the boat. I wholeheartedly agree- Wale would have murdered that track. But then again, there is so much sex appeal and swagger on Jim's version, and it's actually not bad. MGMT + Capo Status = oww. Listen to the track HERE.

Other stuff I'm loving?

Friendly Fires "On Board"

Groovy percussion; definitely one of my faves on their album. Also, FYI, the lead singer's dance moves are out of this world! Peep their "Paris" performance on Later with Jools Holland:

He deserves a cookie for the hip action, and his voice isn't too shabby either.

And lastly, if you haven't checked it out yet, watch
Gnarls Barkley "Mystery Man"
Never disappointing, Danger Mouse and Cee-Lo continue to create magic. Learn more about it at Stereogum.

1 comment:

YE Love said...

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was wondering when you would put a post about the Hip Hop Monologues. I was hoping the play was good or to get mix reactions from people. But I pretty much heard the same thing from everyone. Maybe next time Jimmy!!!

PS I hate that I love that Pop Champagne song also. LoL :-)