Tuesday, January 15, 2008

You Are What You Eat, You Eat What You Can...

The FDA is saying that meat and milk from cloned cows is safe for us to eat:

"FDA scientists studied the chemical composition of meat and milk from clones and decided that it's identical to what's on the market already... But opponents of cloning pointed to other data in the report, showing that the cloning process creates many animals that cannot survive."

Read the full NPR story here, but WTF... are they serious?

A few months back, a family member (who had recently lost a large amount of weight) told me she learned a lot from a book called The China Study. 

To briefly summarize, the book urges us to rethink meat as being the primary source for protein, and in turn, suggests healthier, animal-free alternatives. Why, you ask? Because drugged animals and the processed crap we eat allegedly gives us lots and lots of CANCER and other diseases.
From what I read, the studies that the PhD author conducted to prove his points were quite convincing, as were his credentials. I ended up changing my diet for a few weeks... but it became increasingly hard trying to maintain those extreme changes (even though I really have no excuse for my poor nutritional choices in the first place).
But what are we supposed to believe? How SHOULD we be eating?
If it's not organic and "pure," does what we eat inevitably end up knocking years off our lives? If so, I don't think I want to eat FAKE COW! But in reality, how many years are we talking about here? 

1 comment:

Simply_SB said...

oyyy I ate a burger today...with bacon