Saturday, March 15, 2008

Just Broken Queens, Confusing Bling For Soul

Is it strange or hypocritical that this track (AC f. Client 9 - "She Spitzer or Swallows") makes me HAPPY, but this front page headline makes me SAD?

I love to see emcees immediately react to events that impact society, so I'm not mad at the song - both in theory, and as a fan of hip hop. But this cover? "BAD GIRL?" I don't know... I'm not saying she's an angel, but that's the best they could come up with?!
Don't misunderstand, either: I know why they did it, and as we learned from the 5th season of The Wire, sometimes newspapers let us down.




But have no fear, here is Christian from Project Runway talking about his superhero, FEROCIA COUTURA, just in time to cheer me up!



I know he won 2 weeks ago and it's old news, but I kept meaning to post about both his designing and verbal greatness :)


On the music tip, Busy posted this photo from Lupe's Paris, Tokyo video shoot. I didn't think they'd make the imagery so literal ("camel back across the desert sand"), so I'm interested to see how this one comes out. Meanwhile, The Cool will go gold within a month or so since Lupe's Soundscan numbers are consistent each week, averaging 15-20K.




Janelle Monae is STILL my 1st Round Draft Pick for 2008. If her project is executed well, I think she has the potential to be a household name one day. In the meantime, listen to "Sincerely, Jane."








UPDATED 3/16:

Mariah's 2nd Single?

"Migrate" f. T-Pain (audio from SNL)

I think T-Pain went-in harder than she did here, but I imagine her vocal is much stronger on the final track. There are moments in this version where you hear her almost go-in, but then she pulls back - especially at the end.

No comments: