Monday, May 5, 2008

I'm a War Child

Emmanuel Jal heals himself with music.


As a former child soldier for the Sudan Peoples' Liberation Army, Jal is both star and guide of the film "War Child." I got to see the film on Sunday, catching the final day of the Tribeca Film Festival. Surviving his country's civil war, Jal has now become an international hip hop star, telling his story through lyrics and enchanting beats.

PRESS PLAY on the boombox below to hear his single:



Jal's album is on The Leak for MTVu starting tomorrow, and it appears he has a song entitled "50 Cent." I haven't heard it yet, but after seeing the footage of Jal holding an AK-47 at age 8, I assume the song is more of a commentary on Hip Hop thug imagery than an attack on 50. At least I hope so!

In the meantime, check out his Myspace page, or watch the movie trailer:


No comments: