Saturday, September 20, 2008

I React Every Time We Make Contact


Boz was the first person to introduce me to Santogold, so of course we had to go see her at Irving Plaza last night. We're genuine fans.

Santi has quite a few other fans as well...
Hova was in the building, and that's just the beginning.




As I'm struggling to try to photograph Santi from far, a lovely group of boys offer me a better view to shoot from. One of them then tips me off that he's there with his friend (and '90s icon!) Deee-Lite, and asked if I'd photograph them...

...It would be my pleasure. 
Still hot, she's definitely a little bit timeless, no? 
You remember "Groove Is In The Heart":

Almost 20-years later, you still hear that song out! How often does that happen? 
But I wasn't a fan of hers from that. There's another, less pop-centric song I fell in love with in high school that's even better...

LISTEN TO: 
 "Always ready when you hold me steady..."

Deee-Lite was OD friendly, so when I told her "Stay In Bed, Forget The Rest" was one of my favorite booty songs ever, she blessed me with a description of her mindset during the time she wrote it. Apparently, she had discovered a lustful attitude that shook her to her most basic biological desires- and decided to run with it. Word up, lady- that's one of the most steamy songs I know! I took in the moment, saluted/thanked her, and continued snapping away at Santi.

No stranger to the NY music scene, Danny Masterson was in the audience when we first walked in. Afterwards, as the venue cleared out, I saw him again- this time with another guy who looked strangely familiar. It was Kenna - just there to check out Santogold perform. No big deal, he's just a fan. After exchanging a few words and some silliness, Boz went to take our picture. Like the great blog-wingman that she is, she declined Danny's offering her to get in the shot with us... and since he had already grabbed the camera, she sat back and let him take the photo instead. 

Photo credit: Danny Masterson. And we're both in red plaid?! I could DIE. 

Kenna's an artist whose work I genuinely admire, so I felt obligated to tell him that. And ironically, artist appreciation had leveled us all for a moment: Here I am, a fan of his- and there we all were, fans of hers :) All just here for the music. Random nights like this make me feel grateful to live in NY... this stuff doesn't happen in Wisconsin, you know? And to think the whole evening started off with me bumping into someone else whose work I admire, and whose advice I'm finally taking... 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

*almost drops laptop*

"Make sure they see my face."

Epic moment on some Couch Carter shit. LOL


_CANiBA

Simply_SB said...

G.A.P=Good Ass Post!
(Thats My New Shit)

Loving the Dee*Lite- HS song.

And you already know Kenna is kinda hot

Anonymous said...

I am definitely about to go look up Santogold right now...imeem is the truth for that... : ) I love your blog, but you already know that