Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Like Eating Glass

...That's what 4 days of a sore throat and a 102 degree fever feel like.
I haven't been as sick as I was in Chicago in five years. On my death bed, I convinced myself to man-up; there was no way I'd come all the way there and couldn't enjoy my Lollapalooza weekend. Although it was impossible to do all the magical activities that my expectations had conjured up, I managed to catch the shows that were priorities, and have unforgettable quality time with one of my best friends from high school.

Day 1: 
Bloc Party still holds my heart in their hands...
"Like Eating Glass"

Radiohead brought the crowd and a crazy light show...
Watch this:



Day 2: 
After InnerPartySystem and Foals, we went to the Myspace stage to see MGMT. I started shooting "Of Moons, Birds & Monsters" when a stupid crowd surfer came along...

You know how he made me feel?...
But meeting Airforce Amy made me feel better!
PS- Lupe was fun, too.


Day 3: 

Gnarls' performance was great. I ran into DangerMouse at a restaurant the night before, and took it as a little free-be donation from the universe since I was so sick. I texted my cousin to brag, and he wrote back: "Awww! Add blog entry- I GAVE DANGER MOUSE THE FLU."

After the Gnarls show, Kenna came out and performed "Out of Control" with Mark Ronson.


Kanye closed the show... I was excited to see his energy with the hometown crowd. In this clip, he gets personal on multiple levels, first addressing Chicago, and then talking about his mother who passed. Very intense during the second half...

I put on for my city.


Besides hosting music, festivals like Lollapalooza provide a great opportunity for people to display their individuality. 

Some folks show off tattoos and break out their coolest t-shirts:
I had no idea MechaGodzilla existed until now.

This was my favorite. Never Forget!

Corny overall, but the puma's funny.

For these special kids, it was wear-a-Jordan-jersey-with-your-BFF day:


And for the record: 
Hip Hop did not save my life - Dayquil did.
As did Alex, with this impromptu pizza shop dance party the first night:

The kid dancing with her is a stranger. This was just spontaneous dancing...

I can't decide if these are better than Boz's cartwheels in New Orleans or not...
But FYI, this is why I love Alex. Always and forever.
XO

1 comment:

H & A said...

I am of course going to comment...with a list.

1. Though you were sick (and please go to a doc) I had an amazing time and it was soooo sooo soooo good to see you!!

2. I somehow have not been remembering as often as I should how awesome Radiohead's light show was...freakin awesome.

c. I like to dance, mostly when its inappropriate to do so.

4. Dayquill and that Friday night is on the top of my list of great things this summer.

and finally,

e. I LOVE YOU!! NEVER FORGET!!