Saturday, August 23, 2008

No President Ever Did Sh*t For Me

Everyone loves Barack Obama.
Many think he's going to fix everything that's wrong with America. 
Others view him as our savior.
"Think about this," Mrs. Cheney said. "This is such an amazing American story that one ancestor, a man that came to Maryland, could be responsible down the family line for lives that have taken such different and varied paths as Dick's and Barack Obama's."
Mrs. Cheney's spokeswoman Ginny Justice gave CNN's Ed Henry more details, saying the two unlikely relatives are related through a French Huguenot named Mareen Duvall. Cheney and Obama are both descendants of her.
According to Justice, the vice president is related to her through "the first" Richard Cheney, who came to America in the 1650's. His granddaughter married Samuel Duvall, son of Mareen Duvall.
But Obama's family ties to the Bush administration don't stop with Cheney. According to an article in the Chicago Sun-Times last September, Obama is also an 11th cousin of the president himself. The two share a 17th century Massachusetts relative.
So Barack is related to both Bush and Cheney? "Amazing American story" my ass. I know I'm not related to Dick Cheney! Are you?! Maybe I sound like a lunatic conspiracy theorist, but when I first heard this news LAST YEAR, it didn't sit well with me then, and it still doesn't now. What's even worse is that I thought this was common knowledge, but when I ran it by a few people this week, they had no idea. 

I don't want to offend anyone, so before you get riled up, please know that I'm not against Obama; experience has just shown me that anything sounding too good to be true, generally is. I hope I'm wrong about this, trust me- but I don't think people waiting for him to come in and make it all better should hold their breath. He probably won't even win- the voting system is rigged, remember? But Obama Fever has infected culture so aggressively, our glasses are fogging up, and we can't see that he's still a politician. 

For example, 
the Big Boi/Mary J. video for "Something's Gotta Give"...
I love that it's uplifting, but I'm nervous it's giving us false hope.


Am I being a Debbie Downer?
I guess I just believe that it has to get much worse before it gets any better.
If you think I'm wrong, let me know.




Young Jeezy f. Nas "My President is Black"

No comments: