Friday, June 20, 2008

It's a Celebration, Bitches!


I started The Labyrinth a year ago, today. 365 days later, music is still the backbone of this blog, and the title of each post is still borrowed from some of my favorite song lyrics. 

Since time continues to pass by faster and faster, I decided to take a moment and reflect on what I've written here so far. But once I started looking at past posts, I realized that I wanted to reveal what songs I took my titles from (in case you didn't know the source), and revisit why my favorites make me proud. My topics might be all over the place, but I'm pretty sure that's why I like blogging.



AND MY FAVORITES ARE...


From: Jay-Z "Feelin' It"
The post that first birthed The Labyrinth was provoked by the passing of close friend's mother.






Form The Alliance
From: Big Pun "New York Giants"
Sometimes being eclectic makes me feel marginalized, so when I see people promoting diverse interests, I point it out.





Let That Bitch Breathe
From: Jay-Z "Success"
Tay Zonday's Chocolate Rain, the YouTube era's impact on the music industry, and taking a look at artistic social commentary that's ridden with subtext.





You Gotta Read The Label
From: Gza "Labels"
While transitioning jobs, I started to get sentimental - but happily chucked a deuce at the same time.





Licensed to ILL
From: Beastie Boys album title
Seeing creativity blend into society is always refreshing. Other cool random stuff, too.



Tryin' To Take My Life Away and Who You Callin' a Witch?
From: 50 Cent "Many Men" and Queen Latifah "U.N.I.T.Y."
Race and gender issues in the Democratic primary: Eddie Murphy's jokes from the 80s revisited when 50 Cent discusses the potential assassination of a would-be black president. In the second post, Hillary battles possible gender-bias and misogyny.





Me Against The World
From: 2Pac "Me Against The World"
Something really creepy happened to me one night, and as a result, I was forced to examine the power of fear.







Two More Blocks...
From: Jim Jones "Two More Blocks"
Conspiracy theories or facts? A study relating incarceration to prisoners' geographical origin that I found at MoMa was both beautiful and interesting.




A Little Bit In Love With You
From: Lykke Li "Little Bit"
I can't JUST quote hip hop artists. In this post, I first shared Lykke Li's music, and also paid homage to MGMT and Santogold using the film The Holy Mountain as inspiration for their videos.




I Want Something Un-Ignorable
From: The Ting Tings "Shut Up And Let Me Go"
Stepping my current events game up, I discuss iTunes, movies, and music videos - all while playing with great colors.





Not Dr. Ruth, Call Me Dr. Knockboot
From: Nas "Dr. Knockboot"
I showcase my contribution to Vh1's Ask Weezy content while simultaneously proving that Wayne is smarter than he looks. EvELLEution at it's finest.






From: Lupe Fiasco "American Terrorist"
Social change is spreading: A black man might be president, a movie star raises her kids with open minds, and movies are being made to ignite awareness in us all.



Happy Birthday, Blog!

Let's hope the evELLEution continues...

Celebration - Kanye West

No comments: