Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I Know You've Got a Little Life in You Left


I had a huge BET Awards summary written last night, but all day long, something kept preventing me from posting it. I think the hesitation started this morning when I had an epiphany...



The best moments of the BET Awards 
were delivered by artists who are NOT current.

Bold statement, I know. Perhaps I'm having an old head moment?

Alicia Keys' performance was great, but then she brought out SWV, En Vogue and TLC. The veteran girl groups didn't even sound that great, but the impact in the room was palpable. And after Alicia did the Waterfalls dance with Chili and T-Boz, all the ladies came back to the stage and shared an amazing moment together. In my mind I thought, "This is what BET should be about."

The Al Green tribute was phenomenal as well: Jill Scott, Anthony Hamilton and Maxwell burnt it down. Anthony Hamilton has always had superb pipes, and I used to love Maxwell- where has he been!?!?  After they all sang for him, Al Green thanked "The Academy of the BET awards" (hilarious) and performed two of his incredible classics. The whole crowd was moved.

Everything else (Rihanna, Jeezy, Chris Brown, T-Pain, Keyshia... even Kanye and Wayne!) was pretty much what we all expected. 

Am I wrong?

Maybe I'm just reminiscing on music from when I was younger, but I don't think these young dudes can touch an artist like Maxwell. I'm not saying that lip-syncing Usher, dancing Ne-Yo and gyrating Chris Brown aren't extremely talented (because they clearly are), but please just watch this man's performance from last night and tell me he doesn't have a different level of artistic sophistication:

If that doesn't work, you can also watch it HERE.

Still not convinced? Well then maybe you remember this...
"This Woman's Work" live at MTV Unplugged:


I rest my case.


And before I forget...
I just realized this year that June 25th is shared by 3 of my favorite gentlemen:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY 
to Eugene, Alex and Verse. 
xo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agreed w/Maxwell commentary. Dude was always a little extra, not sure why he fell off/away. Al Green killed it. Them young boyz don't know bout DAT. Sigh. Got me showing my age/oldsoul. Ay nice blog, just came across it, will def. keep checkin in.. -M